As we endure the winter months, many challenges such as frigid temperatures, snow and ice call for special attention. Here are a few tips to help familiarize yourself and maintain the management of your property to avoid the hassle and frustration of potential damage:
- Detach all gardening hoses
- Shut off all water supply to outside faucets
- Familiarize yourself with the location of your main water shut off valve in the event that you are out of town for an extended period of time. Tag the location of your main water valve and make sure you can easily turn it on and off. Shut off valves are generally located in one of the following areas of your property:
Basement (if applicable)
- Wrap pipes nearest exterior walls and in crawl spaces with pipe insulation or with heating tape
- Caulk or weather seal windows to cut down on wind drafts
Remember, that a pipe doesn’t necessarily burst the first time it freezes. Sometimes it takes several freezes and thaws before damage occurs. However, special care and forethought could help swing the odds in your favor!
For more information, please feel free to call MI Construction & Roofing at 630-241-0001.